SMART IT People has an immediate opportunity for a contract Technical Writer with DITA experience in Raleigh, NC.
Must have skills:
- 6 to 10 years of full-time technical writing in a software development environment
- DITA experience (2+ years)
- Software documentation
- Agile experience a plus
- Advanced computer literacy and advanced knowledge and use of major documentation design tools used in the department.
- Ability to travel (Some travel will be required)
• One of the following is required:
- BA/BS or MA/MS degree preferably in one of the following disciplines: Technical Communication,
English, Journalism, Instructional Design.
- Technical Communication certification offered by an educational institution.
Evidence of continuing education courses in current and advanced technical communication areas, software language, and competitive healthcare software data.
To create end user documentation that meets project and customer requirements. Other tasks as directed by Project Manager / Line manager.
• Managing own time effectively to ensure assigned work is completed on schedule, according to productivity targets, and within budget.
• Taking ownership of all documents/deliverables, which includes planning documentation deliverable(s) for a project, producing and updating estimates, and providing timely and accurate reporting of status to the commissioning Project Manager.
• Responsible for documentation process development.
• Suggesting and implementing procedural enhancements.
• Responsible for documentation configuration management.
• Responsible for version control of documents using relevant tools (e.g., Visual SourceSafe, CVS).
• Demonstrating knowledge of Documentation Life cycle.
• Demonstrating proficiency in documentation tools (e.g., Adobe FrameMaker, Robohelp, MS Office etc.), image capturing tools (e.g. SnagIt, Paint ShopPro, Adobe Photoshop) and graphics tools.
• Demonstrating strong proficiency in English language usage skills
• Implementing documentation in line with established plans and documentation standards for the product.
• Liaising with architects, business analysts, developers and testing teams for content input and document reviews to ensure that product functionality is well documented.
• Proactively understanding changes to project scope and making relevant changes to the documentation.
• Escalating issues in a timely manner and suggesting improvements.
• Ensuring all work is reviewed to the relevant documentation standards.
• Providing peer review support to work produced by others, confirming use of relevant documentation standards; approving work produced by others.
• Mentoring other members of the Technical Publications team to improve their time management, productivity, and adherence to documentation standards.
• Maintaining professional relationships within the industry to enhance awareness and performance.
• Maintaining awareness of documentation trends in the industry to suggest and help implement relevant enhancements.
• As time permits, participating in customer and industry forums as a guest speaker or discussion leader on documentation topics that leverage the employee’s domain or tools expertise.
To apply, please send your resume in MS Word format to: email@example.com with job title in subject line.
Technical Writer - Software Development & DITA